Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Grid Demo Impressions


Release Date: June 3rd, 2008

platforms: Xbox 360, PS3, DS


I had a limited amount of time with the ps3 demo from Codemasters Grid, but what I saw I liked. I've never been a huge racing fan so take this from a casual fan not a hardcore racing fan. The first thing I tried was what is essentially the campaign of the game. The first part had me racing in a BMW against 19 other racers on an grand prix style track. What I enjoyed was the fluid controls. I was able to get in and only after one lap get the controls down. The biggest problem I see with the game is the A.I., it just isn't that impressive and the cars are clearly riding on lines and just don't look organic at all. The camera angles work just fine and the game has a fairly impressive replay system. For those of you that enjoy a ton of damage the Codemasters has done a terrific job on damage physics. The drifting took a while for me to get but I'm sure with more time I'll get used to it.

Now for the multiplayer, what was in the demo was 11 players online. At the beginning of a room you get to vote weather you want to play with tour cars or muscle pro cars. Our room picked the tour cars in which everyone gets a BMW. The game worked out fine doing one 3 lap race and two 5 lap races. The one problem can be the actual players, because in this game your car can be totaled pretty easily. So you need to drive cautiously and smart. Thing is not everyone wants to play it that way. I entered the last race and some one rammed me doing 75 mph in the first 10 seconds of the race leaving me to watch the hole race while he motored on. 

The game seems to be a quite capable title and I look forward to trying out the retail version when it ships in the next few weeks. If your a racing fan there is no reason not to give this game a chance. For just being a demo it totally delivers the chills and thrills you expect from a next-gen racing game.

No comments: